In the Siemenpuu Foundation's Finnish-language publication Luonnonsuojelun dekolonisaatio – Kohti kanssaelävää suojelua ("Decolonizing Nature Conservation – Towards Convivial Conservation"), the colonial structures of nature conservation are analyzed with examples from Brazil, Colombia, Ethiopia, India, Madagascar, Myanmar, Samí and Finland. Decolonizing ideas and approaches e.g. on convivial conservation from the indigenous and Southern community perspectives are then introduced. The publication also includes a photo essay "Living and Dying" by Noora Ojala.
The need for decolonizing the structures is part of wider societal change, where we need to assess the currents values, concepts and actions. At the same time, possibilities for different types of environmental protection can be opened.
Download the printable PDF publication here (1.6 MB, in Finnish), the accessible PDF publication for mobile devices here (1.1 MB, in Finnish), and electronic book here (ePub format, 8.8 MB, in Finnish). Password for the eBook is "decolonize".
Articles of the publication (unofficial titles in English):
- Olli-Pekka Haavisto: Background: Couple of words on the Western understanding of nature
- Marketta Vuola: What happened when 10 % of Madagascar was protected?
- Arunopol Seal: A preface to decolonizing conservation: Perspectives from a subaltern India
- Pieta Savinotko: Gathering and plantations in and around the forests
- Áslat Holmberg: Conserving Samí Land
- Saw John Bright: Indigenous understanding of Salween River is key for biodiversity
- Marirajan Thiruppathi, Girja Godana Adola & Mokuria Delelegn: Decolonization of pastoral laws and policies in Ethiopia
- Fabrina Furtado: Anti-environmentalism and capitalization of nature in Brazil
- Aili Pyhälä: Decolonizing nature conservation according to Natural Law: Learning from the Kogui way in Colombia
- Antti Salminen: A word on the unsustainability of nature conservation – three blind spots and a recommendation
Haavisto, O.-P., Korhonen, P. ja Kuronen, T. (toim.)
LUONNONSUOJELUN DEKOLONISAATIO – Kohti kanssaelävää suojelua
Siemenpuun teemajulkaisu 8
ISBN: 978-952-392-002-6 (pdf), 978-952-392-001-9 (e-kirja)